And the key word is SIMPLE here!
All of the ingredients you have in your pantry and I am sure that you can find 2 frozen, neglected bananas kicking around in your freezer that have fallen out on occasion.
I am always up for being in the kitchen...obviously;) but there are days where I don't feel like running to the grocery store or doing a sink full of dishes in order to make a recipe. So today this recipe checks both boxes. No trip to the store and no huge mess in the kitchen-bonus!
I am more of a cookie kid if I had the choice but there are times where muffins foot the bill on a nutrition level or quick breakfast for the wee ones. So when it comes to muffins I usually don't mess around making mini muffins because let's be honest...I usually end up eating about 4 of them anyways, so I might as well make the big guys and eat just one! However for the wee people in the house or my friends that have WAAAY more self control than myself, I make the mini ones. I freeze them so I can pack them on a road trip or a day trip or pretty much whenever I am in a pinch for a healthy, little snack - win, win!
As for the OPTIONAL ingredients these are just "NICE TO HAVE" in the recipe, but without them the recipe is still yum. I am always up for getting in a variety of goodies into baked goods, especially healthy fats, vitamins and minerals that can be sometimes hard to choke down on their own.
Here is a dirty, little secret though. If you have any butterscotch chips in the house...put them in! The combo of banana and butterscotch is UHHH-mazing!
So here ya go, a super, simple banana muffin recipe that you can use over and over and over again!
SIMPLE BANANA MUFFINS
1 1/2 cups flour (half whole wheat and half all purpose is great too)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
2 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup melted butter, coconut oil or applesauce
Optional EXTRAS, use NONE, SOME or ALL if you want and play around with the amounts.
2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp flax seeds
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or butterscotch
2 tbsp cocoa nibs
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a medium bowl, mix bananas, egg, oil and sugar. Blend together using a hand blender or whisk. I like the hand blender since it mashes the bananas for me.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. If you are adding any of the optional EXTRAS, add them to the dry ingredients. Make a well in the dry ingredients.
4. Using a rubber spatula, pour the liquid ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients and gently fold the mixture until you no longer see any dry ingredients. The batter will be thicker, make sure you don’t over mix the batter or your muffins will be tough.
5. Fill muffin tins, lined with paper liners about 3/4 full.
6. Regular size muffins will bake for ~15-17 mins and mini muffins will bake for ~ 8 mins.