I opened the freezer up the other day and noticed an extremely large amount of overripe bananas that were just begging me to turn them into something amazing & with Kasey heading out on his hunting trip I thought it might be a nice wife gesture to send some Crater Cake along with him to share with the boys.
This recipe would not be found on your clean eating plan. It is full of rich butter, sour cream, brown sugar and chocolate; definitely something we should NOT to eat every day (but seriously, rules are sometimes made for breaking). I usually freeze the extras to resist the temptation of eating it until it is gone! But hey, it you do happened to have one of those weeks, don't worry about it. Be kind to yourself and give yourself a break.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 bananas, overripe and mashed
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to BAKE 350F. Parchment line one 9 x 13" pan or 2 loaf pans.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy, about 5 mins.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and bananas. Mix until combined
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Layering Mixture and set aside.
- Alternate adding sour cream and flour mixture to your butter mixture until all of the ingredients are combined and the batter is homogenous.
- In your baking pan of choice pour half of your batter into the pans, top with half of your layering mixture. Add the remaining of your batter on top and then top with the remaining layering mixture.
- Bake for 30-45 mins of until a toothpick comes out with a moist crumb. Don't over bake or it will be dry. Enjoy!
- This recipe freezes very well and tastes better the next day once the flavours rest.